Friday, April 17, 2015

Eating Fresh- 10 Vegetable Recipes to Add to Your Dinner Rotation


I've been making a concerted effort to cook a variety of vegetables lately. For a while I was nightly tossing a bag of steamfresh broccoli into the microwave, occasionally mixing it up with the california medley bag or green bean bag, but that was about the extent of my vegetable prep.

But once Ryan started eating solids, I decided I wanted him to learn about and hopefully enjoy a variety of vegetables, and I figured the only way that was going to happen was for us to do the same.


So today's post is a quick run down of the vegetables I've been cooking with our recent meals. Most of them are roasted in the oven because I've found that it's the easiest way to get the most flavor from the veggies without having to watch them sauté on the stove.

One other tip that I've found helpful is to prepare the vegetables for the week (chop, trim, etc.) at one time. So if I have some extra time during Ryan's nap, or can get him really interested in a some tupperware in the kitchen ;), I try to get the vegetables for the week ready, rather than preparing each vegetable on the night we're planning to eat it.

Brussel Sprouts
You guys were so helpful to share your favorite brussel sprout recipes with me a few weeks ago. To say I had low expectations at actually liking these is an understatement. But y'all, they are good! The flakey parts of the leaves after they're roasted even taste they chips. The key is  buying larger ones that have loose leaves and using generous amounts of salt (I used sea salt on these).


Directions:
Cut each brussel sprout in half through the core. 
If some are larger, cut them again so that they are the same size as the others.
Marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar (equal amounts of each and enough to coat the brussel sprouts in the bag) for at least 30 minutes, flipping half way through to evenly coat them.
Spread out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh parmesan.
Roast on 400 for 30 minutes.

Roasted Carrots
(I buy organic whole carrots)


Directions:
Peel the carrots and trim the tops. Drizzle with olive oil, honey (or agave nectar), and sprinkle with rosemary. Roast on 400 for 30 minutes.

Butternut Squash
(I buy the pre-cut bag from Trader Joe's for $1.99)


Directions:
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake on 425 for 25 minutes.
You can also heat them in the microwave for 5 minutes if you need a quick veggie and don't mind a softer, non-roasted taste.

Zucchini


Directions:
Chop each zucchini in half, and then quarter each half so that each zucchini gives you eight pieces. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (looks like this). Roast on 425 for 25 minutes. (The temperature and time can be altered based on what else is in the oven with them. Sometimes I roast these on 400 for slightly more time or 450 for slightly less time.)


For an alternative recipe with zucchini that includes yellow squash (shown in the picture above), click here.

Asparagus
(I buy the bunch of thin asparagus from Trader Joe's for $1.99)


Directions:
Snap the ends off of each asparagus.
Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic glaze, sea salt, and fresh parmesan.
Roast on 400 for 15 minutes.


I also like using a lemon garlic marinade on asparagus. You can find that recipe here.

Green Beans
(I buy the large bag of organic frozen green beans from Costco for $6.99)

Directions:
Pour frozen green beans in a glass bowl and cover with water. Cover with a lid and heat for 10 minutes. Drain the water, mix with a little butter or olive oil, and sprinkle with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (looks like this), garlic salt, or just some fresh parmesan. (I always use the Cavendar's on green beans.)


For an alternative green bean recipe with cherry tomatoes shown in the picture above, click here.

Steakhouse Creamed Spinach


This is our new favorite spinach recipe that I like to make with meat and potatoes. You can check out this recipe here.

Hopefully one of these recipes will become one of your new favorites too!

facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

2 comments:

  1. Roasted carrots and asparagus look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your fun ways to dress up veggies. I know that Ryan loves the balsamic, and you are much more adventureous with his foods then I have been so far with Caleb, but does he eat most of the recipes you listed above? Caleb is ready to eat more solids now and is motivated so I'd like to start roasting and steaming more flavors and veggies together for him :) Hope you are having an amazing vacation!

    ReplyDelete