Wednesday, September 25, 2013

29



I thought about calling this post "29 and feelin fine", but then thought it might be a little too cheesey- even for me.

Yep. Today marks my 29th birthday. Twenty-nine. Two...Nine. A year away from the big 3-0.

...I'm trying to get used to it.

I'm not really one for odd numbers. Or the number 29 for that matter. (Is anyone else funny about numbers, or is it just me?)

However, despite the misfortune of the number that will be my age for the next year, I am quite looking forward to the next 365 days.

I think 29 is going to be a great year. And here's why:


  • For starters, I got one of the funniest blog comments yesterday about this post that I may have ever received:

    • I'm not sure if it was the timing, the comment, or the fact that I was in the middle of enjoying a pre-birthday glass of wine as I read it, but I just cracked up. It is, by the way, quite true. If you have ever made any of my recipes, you know that sweet onions and garlic are in just about every one of them.
  • Last night, Matt walked in the door with these:
    • And I pretty much figure the whole year will be a sweet one when the birthday eve starts like that. ;)
  • Yesterday at school, my kids were asking me things like: "Mrs. Nelsen, I don't want to know for any reason, but what is your favorite kind of cake?", while other kids were "sneaking" birthday cards around the class for the kids to sign when they were working in centers. Then, at the end of the day, one of my kids asked for me to not look at the board until tomorrow and proceeded to draw a "Happy Birthday Mrs. Nelsen" mural on the white board that I tried very hard to avoid looking at as I walked out the door (or as she stood on a chair to put the finishing touches on her work of art). Kids are the best. 
  • This past Saturday, my friend Andrea (see comment above ;) ) brought Cinnabons to tennis and gave me four to take home. So my birthday celebration pretty much started then.

  • I received some sweet birthday cards in the mail from sweet family and then a package from my dad filled with two italian cook books and a DVD! Cannot WAIT to try out some new recipes and share them with you guys!
  • Tally gets his cone off on Friday! Sweet buddy has adjusted well, but mama's ready to give to guy a bath and not hear him move around in his crate all night.
  • Tonight, Matt and I are using one of our Buckhead Life gift cards (thank you sweet and generous parents of kids I teach!) to go to Chops Lobster Bar, and then we're heading to the new Skyview Atlanta that opened just a couple of months ago! ...It's like the London Eye of Atlanta. Speaking of, Matt and I actually got to go on the London Eye when we were in college- which is another story for another day for sure... but here's a throw-back pic for kicks:
    • Come to think of it, I could probably make an entire post about what we were wearing. It was apparently really cold. And hair cuts did make either one of our college budgets it seems.
  • Then on Saturday, we're going to the Georgia State Fair. Because turning 29 makes me suddenly want to pretend like I'm 17- which is the last time we went with just the two of us.  I'm not gonna lie- I'm pretty pumped about it. I don't have a picture from our first trip to the fair, but we looked something like this:

    •  or this:
          • Oh heavens- that second picture is a gem.
  • That night, we're celebrating with Matt's family. We're meeting at our house after the fair and heading to dinner somewhere in Buckhead.
  • And then on Sunday, after we celebrate KidStuff Pajama Jam (or pajoma jom, depending on how you pronounce it) with our 2nd graders in UpStreet, my family is coming over for lunch. My mom is making her Uh-maz-ing Brunswik Stew, Grilled Cheese sandwiches on white mountain bread, and carrot cake for dessert. But I'm excited about seeing my family too. ;)
  • More details to come on this, but we're heading to New York in December with Matt's sis and brother-in-law and just booked our tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular! Matt's never been to NYC, and I grew up growing, so I can't wait to show him the city- especially at Christmas! 
  • We've finally decided on a paint color for the house and are getting it painted THIS WEEK!!! By the way, thanks for your input on the colors! I'll share pictures of the finished product next week!

And just to prove that my go-to meals are really my go-to meals, Monday we had Chicken Divan, and last night we had spaghetti. ;) I'll be sharing my recipes for both next week!

Have a great day!!!



14 comments:

  1. Haircuts not in the budget. Another reason I'm in stitches laughing. Hope your birthday is awesome with your students...they definitely know how to make you feel special! Can't wait to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! Hope you have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Birthday Heather!! I was just trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight so I hopped over to your blog since I've made a few of your recipes and they were hits in my house :) Would love to try a Brunswick Stew if your mom is willing to share the recipe ;) Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoy your day! Love the flashback pics! Too cute! Kids are the sweetest ever, not that they want to know for a particular reason! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy happy day!! I know it will be a great one! Way to spread it out over the week... haha. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!!! 29 is awesome! Get over the odd number thing! 30 is pretty great too. Your bday and extended bday celebrations sound much cooler than mine were except you did not get body art!! You'll have to find that on my blog :)
    By the way I'm 46 and full of tricks ;) Oh wait that doesn't sound too nice...I am now 46 and cooler than Stevie Nix. That's all I could think of. Have FUN sweet YOUNG lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!! I'm with you on the odd numbers thing, I'm 27 and I'm not liking the odd number too much.
    P.S. I'm SO jealous you get to go to NYC in December! I'm in love with that city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, Happy Birthday!!! I'm so weird with odd numbers and never realized until I actually thought about it. For some reason even numbers speak to me more (but considering you'll be 30 next year the comparison probably isnt all that fun). Anyway, even numbers seem more "girly". Weird I know. Matt is the greatest. Love how the colors look like Fall. And your kids at school...thats one reason I wanted to be a teacher. they must be oh so fun! Again, Happy Birthday. It's been wonderful getting to know you and becoming blog friends. I wish you another year of happiness, love and adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww...HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!!! I hope it was absolutely fabulous!! Sounds like it's been awesome so far...and looks like you've got more great things lined up! May God bless you with many more!! Thanks for linking up today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to you!!!! May this year be amazing.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!!! It sounds like you had/have some pretty awesome birthday plans! :) Mine is almost a month away and I'm already excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday! I read your latest post before this one, so I can say---It sounds like you had a great one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so glad you had a beautiful birthday! as i was typing in your site, i just realized, i never wrote you back as to my birthday. we are exactly a week apart - i'm the 18th. though, i'm an old lady and am 31. ;) i'm so with ya on the odd numbers. i was like "ehh, 31, whatever...32 sounds cooler!" hahaha i was the same with 29. lol. i LOVE all the photos of you and matt from years ago - you're too cute! what a good mr - bringing beautiful flowers home. that is so stinkin' cute about your students asking about your favorite cake! i'm so glad 29 has been great to you already! <3<3<3 sending so much love

    ReplyDelete