...Okay, really, I just like to cook whatever I'm craving around 5:30.
Which means, at any given time, our pantry usually looks like this:
It may seem a little excessive for two people. But I assure you it is all eaten. And no I did not organize my shelves for this picture. Labels-facing-forward is a 24/7, 365 days/year insanity of mine. Straight lines and front-facing labels make me happier than they should.
These are the items you will most likely always find in my pantry, fridge, or freezer:
- Soups (Cream of Chicken, Mushroom, and Celery to be exact)
- Rice a Roni and Pasta Roni for sides
- Pasta (duh)
- Canned Chicken
- A jar of sauce if I don't have any of my homemade one frozen
- Black Beans
- Chicken Stock
- Cream Cheese
- Pillsbury french bread (which can double as a last-minute pizza crust or calzone dough)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese (usually cheddar, sometimes mozzarella)
- Sweet Onions or Shallots
- Meats: Chicken breast, ground beef, pork tenderloin, tilapia, shrimp
- Broccoli, broccoli, and more broccoli (plus carrots, green beans, and cauliflower)
Most of those items can be used to make as one of these go-to meals:
- Chicken Divan
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Beef Stroganoff
- BBQ Chicken Mac or Taco Mac
- Black Bean Burritos
- Sloppy Joes (I promise they're good! ha)
- Breakfast for dinner (waffles, eggs, and turkey bacon, OR Sausage Cream Cheese Braid)
- Vidalia Onion Chicken Bake (one of Matt's favorites!)
- Fish Tacos
- Pork Terderloin (Either this crock pot version, or this baked version)
- Pasta with Vodka Sauce (with shrimp or grilled chicken)
- Chicken Broccoli Braid
- Homemade Pizza (BBQ Chicken usually- or occasionally calzones... but the peach one is my fave!)
And when one of those items does not sound appetizing, or when I am running late from work, or when I just don't want to cook (yes, I love cooking, but no, I do not always want to do it)- Papa Johns Pizza (half cheese for me, half pepperoni for Matt) or Publix rotisserie chicken with a side of their steam-in-bag broccoli and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese fills the what-do-I-cook-for-dinner void. Yes. I cook Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. This one or this one to be exact.
So maybe I'll become a meal planner one day, but for now, I'll stick to my overloaded (and over-organized) pantry and fridge so that I can have all kinds of options for what to make. :)
So what works for you? Are you a meal planner or impromptu-cooker? Have any go-to meals I need to add to my rotation?!
Have a great Tuesday!