Thursday, November 19, 2015

Poor Man's Beef Bourgignon


I made this dish for my mom's birthday dinner last weekend and we all loved it! We are pasta LOVERS in my family so a meal like this is right up our alley.

I made it a few weeks before my mom's birthday dinner, using up some ingredients from our fridge and wanting to make something like a beef stroganoff but a little different. I used wine and mushrooms and some heavy cream and decided that it most resembled a beef bourgignon... but a much cheaper and easier version.

Point is, we loved it! And I hope you all do too!

Ingredients:
2T butter
1 sweet onion, chopped
8oz baby bella mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine (I used cabernet)
1/2 cup beef stock
1 can cream of mushroom soup
heavy cream (or 1/2 and 1/2) up to 1/2 cup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh parm
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1T dried parsley
1lb ground beef
1lb short pasta (I used farfalle, or bowtie)

Directions:
Saute onions in butter until clear (5-7 minutes). Add in garlic and simmer for 2 more minutes. Add mushrooms, wine, and beef stock and simmer for 5-7 more minutes. Add in soup and blend with a whisk. If sauce is too thick after adding soup, add up to 1/2 cup of heavy cream (I add a little at a time and stir). Add in sour cream, parsley, salt, pepper, and parmesan.

While sauce is cooking, I brown the meat in a separate pan, drain, rinse, and return to the sauce pan after all of the above steps have been completed.

Also while the sauce is cooking and meat is browning, I boil salted water and cook the pasta to al dente. Then drain and return it to the pan. 

Pour sauce (now with meat added) on top of the pasta.

Garnish with parsley and parmesan before serving.


The book giveaway ends tonight! (enter here) And the party will stay open through Friday at midnight. Don't forget to get your orders in by then!

facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

No comments:

Post a Comment