Friday, August 2, 2013

Recipe Week Day 5: Fettuccine "Cauliflower" Alfredo

Well it's probably no surprise that I'm ending the week with a pasta recipe. Or that 3/5 recipes from this week have been pasta recipes. I am a pasta girl. A real pasta girl. That means this "healthy" Fettuccine Alfredo is still made with real fettuccine noodles, not the whole wheat kind that I just can't get into. I did try it once- whole wheat noodles I mean- but I quickly decided that they didn't taste like pasta at all. Maybe there's another brand I need to try. But honestly, when I'm eating pasta, my lack of portion control would be completely counterproductive to cooking with healthier noodles. So I say- forget it. I make food to enjoy it... and enjoy it I do.



Original recipe here

Ingredients:
1 bag Birds Eye Steamfresh Garlic Cauliflower
1 1/4 cup skim milk
3 oz. cream cheese
1 T flour
1 T butter
1 tsp. salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Kraft Italian Five Cheese shredded cheese
1/3 cup chicken stock

Directions:
Steam cauliflower in the microwave according to package directions. Add to blender along with milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt. Blend until smooth. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add garlic. Sautee garlic for one minute. Add the cauliflower mixture to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese. Stir and cover. Let the sauce stand for 5-7 minutes to thicken.

Boil salted water and cook fettuccine to al dente. Drain and add to the sauce pan. Mix. Add chicken stock or salted pasta water to thin sauce as needed (I added about a 1/3 cup). Serve.










I like to add about 1/3 cup of chicken stock or pasta water at the end to thin out the sauce a bit (you can also do it before adding the noodles)

Served with grilled chicken and broccoli


For the other recipes from this week, click on the links below:

That's the end of Recipe Week! Hope you found a new recipe or two to try!

And don't forget to enter the FREE BLOG DESIGN giveaway. The winner will be announced on Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. I think I pinned this recipe or something similar, I would definitely love to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really, really, REALLY want to try this sometime!! it looks amazing and like something steve would love! thanks for always sharing!! :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete