Friday, December 20, 2013

NYC part 2

If you missed part 1, you can find it here.

Sunday morning, we all took a walk to Central Park. 

Jackson was just as cute as he could be all dressed up in his winter gear.




Attempt one at a picture with the little guy... the minute he realizes there's a camera facing his way, he starts saying, "No... no, no." Ha!

So I snuck in a couple ;)

This is mid-"NO!" ;)







The whole gang! Except Jackson got cut off :/ Darn!









After we left Central Park, Dan and Mary took Jackson back for a nap, and the four of us headed to Chelsea Market. Let me say- I would request that every date night end up here if we lived in the city. Which is why I'm super excited that they're building something similar near us!



There are a bagillion shops with specialty foods- it is a foodie's heaven. 

Fresh herbs and cheeses?! Yes please!

I kept thinking my mom would be in heaven. Every type of fresh food you could imagine- a chef's dream as well!

So we ate our way through the entire place: lobster roll, crab cake, brisket sandwich, gourmet grilled cheese, and my own personal picks:


doughnuts and gelato. Oh my. SO good.

This is the best picture I could get to capture how cute the inside was...

Unfortunately, Jay and Karen had to fly back home that night, so Matt and I decided to head to Times Square for 1/2 price tickets to a show. We ended up getting orchestra seats to Mamma Mia, 10 rows back in the center! I felt fancy... and giddy since we got them for 50% off.





The next morning, Mary came with us to see the 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island. The last two we saw through a water taxi, which was pretty cool! Especially since (so totally random for so many reasons) Sally Jessy Raphael and Rachel Dratch from SNL came onto our boat with a film crew at one of the stops. Apparently they were filming an interview/documentary?! 

We grew up going to Balducci's on Mulberry St when we would come into the city with my aunt and uncle. Back then it was a butcher, cheese, and wine shop. Now they only have these little sandwich shops around town, but I thought my mom and sister would appreciate the pic. :)

Starbucks- Matt got a muffin, not a coffee (guess I can't push my luck on the hot drink thing) ;)

The three of us ate at a delish pizza spot right near Ground Zero.


The one of the right is a pizza with vodka sauce and prosciutto. Vodka sauce on pizza?! Genius.










This is the new "twin tower" building they are almost finished with. The exact height is 1776 feet. Pretty awesome.

This memorial was at a fire station adjacent to the 9/11 memorial.




Water taxi ride

And there she is coming on the boat. She looked pretty good for almost 80!

There they are filming the interview. Seriously, how random is that?!


Pictures of the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges from inside the taxi because I was too cold to walk out when the boat was moving.







Dan and Mary were just the sweetest hosts. We are so thankful to them for opening up their home and show us such a great time in NYC!


You have through Sunday to enter the Pen, Meet Paper $40 Etsy Shop giveaway!

Enjoy the weekend! At the end of the school day today, our Christmas break officially starts. Woo-hoo!


facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip! It looks SO cold. I've enjoyed seeing all your sights. And I could be needing your tips in the future. The same weekend y'all were there a friend of Brant's was there too. He has NEVER had a desire to go to NY, but after neighbors and this friend went it's all he talks about. And wants to go during the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to New York around Christmas time is on my bucket list. All the snow and lights...so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now you have me wanting to go to nyc! steve was born and raised there and moved when he was 18. we went about five or so years ago and i loved it. like you said in your last post...most cold you've ever been...but it is a good kinda cold!! :) i love the photo of you, matt and "mid-no" jackson!! and your red jeans...love them!!
    i'm glad matt at least ordered a muffin for ya at starbucks!
    i could comment on so much. sally jesse made me LOL and omygosh, i didn't know she was almost 80! she does look pretty stinking good! haha! the memorials are beautiful!
    you are beautiful!
    wishing you a very merry 5-days-before-christmas, heather!!!!!
    <3<3<3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- i love the photos where you added the snow!! so neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your red pants! Looks like your having a blast! :) I have not been to NYC yet, its on my bucket list though!

    ReplyDelete