I was so impressed by her. She was so thoughtful and genuine and spoke to me as if we were already friends. Knowing everything that she and her family have been through over the past couple of years and then seeing the joy with which she lived, I just knew it was evidence of the Lord's work in her life.
Today, I want to share a little bit about the Fisher family and the incredible foundation that Candi and Jimbo have started- Kidz1stFund- in an effort to raise awareness, increase support, and, ultimately, find a cure, for Fanconi anemia.
Fanconi anemia is a rare and genetic blood disorder that affects 1 in 131,00 people. Physical side effects vary from heart defects, to skin discoloration, to abnormalities of the arms and hands, to some patients having no physical side effects at all. Despite the variance in physical abnormalities, nearly all patients with FA will have a decline in their blood counts over time, increasing the likelihood of developing various cancers and, ultimately, leading to bone marrow failure- a tragic fact that leaves patients with an average life expectancy of 29 years.
It was at that time that Jimbo and Candi Fisher decided they wanted to make a difference, not only for their son's life, but for the lives of everyone affected by this disease.
College Gameday feature on the Fisher family, talking about Ethan's diagnosis
So they created a foundation called Kidz1stFund to support families affected by FA, provide education and awareness about the disease (as they learned when their son was diagnosed that there was little information available on the blood disorder), and raise money for Fanconi anemia research with the goal of finding a cure.
So what can you do to help?
- Give money to Kidz1stFund
- Text FA to 50555 and $10 will be sent to support FA research
- Buy Kidz1stFund merchandise here, where ALL money goes to Kidz1stFund
- Sign up to have a swab kit mailed to your hosue for FREE and become a bone marrow donor online by visiting Be the Match
- Purchase a Red Lighting T-Shirt- FSU's newly famous ball boy has a t-shirt for sale and is giving all proceeds to K1F
- Purchase a commemorative Nikco Football- proceeds support K1F
- Purchase Killer Shine book- Candi Fisher wrote the foreword to this work of fiction by Shannon O'Neil- proceeds support K1F
- Follow Kidz1stFund on Facebook and Twitter
Join the fight against FA
To learn more about FA and Kidz1stFund, visit
Kidz1stFund featured on ESPN during FSU vs. Pitt game