Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Stuffed French Toast


My mom used to make this delicious breakfast treat for me every Saturday morning before my basketball games. I remember looking forward to Saturdays for the relaxed way they started and getting excited about playing in my game as I would smell the french toast cooking on the stove.

Now that I am a wife and mom, I realize what a treat it is to have food brought out to you, fresh and ready to eat, and know that cooking special meals for us was just one of the ways my mom served and loved me sister and me when we were kids. Lucky us to have a mama who loved to cook and did it well. :)

This breakfast treat is great for dinner too. We love breakfast-for-dinner nights! And it can be changed a million different ways- add in your favorite fruits, switch out the flavor of fillings, etc.

I should also mention that french toast is really hard to mess up. I listed specific measurements for the ingredients, but I have never actually measured this recipe. A sprinkle of cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, and bigger splash of milk... you really can't mess this up!



Ingredients:
10 pieces of bread (I used Publix 5 grain italian, but just use your favorite kind)
4oz cream cheese (1/2 package)
4oz favorite jelly, jam, or preserves

3 eggs
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp milk

Directions:
Warm/soften cream cheese in microwave to make it easier to spread.
Spread a layer of cream cream on 5 pieces of bread.
Spread the jelly on the other 5 pieces.
Place the sandwiches together so that each sandwich has a jelly slice and a cream cheese slice of bread.
Mix together the egg mixture with a fork.
Dip each side of the sandwich in the egg mixture and place on a skillet.
Repeat for other 4 sandwiches.
Cook on low to medium heat until toast is lightly browned and the inside is warm.
Serve with bacon, eggs, grits, fruit, or your favorite breakfast side.


facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

1 comment: