Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Recommended baby products for the first month


I can't believe our little guy will be one month tomorrow! The time has flown by and he has already grown and changed so much. We're still using most of the recommended products for the first two weeks, but we've added a number of new ones to the mix!

I want to keep a list of what has worked for us so that hopefully when we have more kids in the future, we'll remember what we did and what we used the most. And if any of y'all can benefit from this list, well then that will just be a bonus. 

1.
Sound Machine
Ryan slept in his crib for the first time the night before his 3 week birthday. I'm not sure if it was the room, the crib, the swaddle, or the sound machine... or maybe a combination of it all, but he has been sleeping like a champ! We use the HoMedics Sound Machine and set it on the ocean waves setting.
2.
Aiden and Anais Easy Swaddle Blanket
I wrote about their original swaddle blankets in my recommended products for the first two weeks, and then just this week, my friend Andrea introduced me to their new easy swaddle blankets and I absolutely love them! In fact, I just ordered two more (this one and this one) today. They're made of the same great natural muslin material and button instead of velcro like other swaddles. I am a BIG fan!




3.
BABYBJORN Carrier One 
The BABYBJORN Baby Carrier One is their newest model baby carrier. It allows you to carry your baby four different ways and all the way up to 33lbs. I like it better than the Ergo because I want Ryan to be able to face out when he gets a little bigger. My sister's boys loved facing out in the BabyBjorn when they were babies- I can't wait for Ryan to do the same! Okay, actually I can- I don't want him to grow... ;)


4.
Medela Pump
You should definitely check with your insurance to see if you can get one of these for free. Yes, FREE! My insurance offered a choice between three different pumps, but the Medela Pump is the one I had heard the most about. And now they are so much smaller too, which is great for someone like me who doesn't like to take up too much cabinet space. Check out this website for more info to see if you qualify for a free pump through your insurance. But if you can't get one for free, the one I have and love is on sale on Amazon right now for $145 including shipping. That is a great price!
Also, these Medela Steam Bags make cleaning the bottles after pumping SO quick and easy! I'm so glad my sis-in-law Jennifer told me about them- they are great! And thanks to my friend Andrea's recommendation, I also have the Medela soap for an occasional deeper soak/clean in the sink.

5.
Simple Wishes Hands Free Breast Pump Bra
This thing is awesome. My sis-in-law Karen let me borrow hers, and I feel like it's a hidden gem for making pumping easy and efficient. I'm a major multi-tasker, so the thought of pumping AND doing something else at the same time is definitely appealing. If you plan to pump, you need this bra!

6.
Tommy Tippy Bottles
I love these Tommy Tippee bottles. Before Ryan was born, I had read about them being great for predominately breast-fed babies, with a nipple that makes transitioning between the breast and bottle easy and natural. And we have definitely experienced that! Matt usually gives Ryan his before-bed bottle each night while I pump. It could be completely in my head, but I feel like him taking the bottle before bed is why he is giving such long stretches at night already. And he hasn't had the least bit of trouble nursing with me during the day. Plus, Matt likes that time of feeding him at night, which I think is super sweet. :)

7.
Maximum Strength Desitin
Y'all, I am totally one of those moms who wanted everything to be all-natural. I bought the more expensive, all-natural bath products and lotions (which I do happen to love- you can check them out here), and even got the diaper rash "barrier cream" by the same brand. Poor buddy had a diaper rash that would come and go basically since we brought him home, and I felt like I was trying everything (airing out, breast milk, corn starch, expensive "all-natural" wipes) and then, my friend Steph let me use her maximum strength Desitin (you know, the stuff we all grew up on and survived just fine with?!) and I kid you not, his diaper rash was cleared up by the time I changed him again after his next feeding. Seriously! The stuff's amazing.

8.
Diaper Changing Pads
We keep one of these diaper changing pads on top of Ryan's changing table and carry them in the diaper bag for on-the-go changes. I imagine these are extra great for boys since they tend to "release" at the perfect time in between the dirty diaper coming off and the clean one going on. ;) While I have still washed his changing pad cover a few times, it has been spared a number of extra washes thanks to these nifty little disposable pads.

9.
Crib Sheet Saver
Just like the diaper changing pads, these crib sheet savers help prevent you from having to change the sheet (which is not a quick or easy job!) when your little buddy spits up or tinkles through his diaper, clothes, AND swaddle thanks to mama forgetting the "point south" rule of a diaper change. :)



10.
Boon Grass Drying Rack
The grass drying rack gives you a space for drying your bottles, and it's kinda fun looking too. I have this one, known as "the grass," but they also have a larger version called "the lawn," if you have more bottles and need more drying space.


So that's it for now! I'm sure I'll have more favorites to share as he continues to grow... although for now I just want time to SLOW down!


facebooktwitterpinterestbloglovininstagramfeed

4 comments:

  1. So I have 4 out of your 10 items already! :) Hopefully that means we are a little bit closer to being ready for our little man. If he ever decides to join us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our daughter was tiny, we had a lot of these products, too. She loved being all wrapped up in a swaddler--I didn't know that Aiden and Anais made button ones! We also found out the hard way that Desitin is a miracle worker. :) I didn't have a Baby Bjorn or an Ergobaby--I did get the Baby K'tan wrap, which Britton loves as a tiny baby; she grew out of all of the carriers and wraps pretty fast because she thinks she's totally grown up (at all of 14 months). Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! We didn't have the Aiden+Anais swaddlers either - I'm totally interested in how the snaps vs. velcro goes! You'll have to keep updating whether or not he's able to bust out of it! We also loved the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle. Also, I was always so intimidated by pumping when I was staying home and nursing anyway...I'd love to hear a little more about your pumping/pump schedule. And (one more, promise) you probably already have this planned - but posts about baby's schedule at different age points will be SO HELPFUL when preparing for #2! I've already started looking back on mine for preparation! Would love to read a "day in the life of" post! Okay, that's it. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love so many of these products! we just got the boon rack a couple of months ago, for piper's sippy cups, spoons, binkies, etc...
    we wished we would have known about it when she was born, so we never would have had to deal with our old annoying spin rack. the boon is awesome!

    this was a great post for new mamas!!

    ReplyDelete